Chair of Waste Management and Emissions
The protection of resources and the climate are essential conditions for sustainable development. Against this background, we at the Chair of Waste Management and Emissions are dedicated in research and teaching to the holistic consideration of material flows in the context of recycling management. The focus is on the avoidance of waste, the research of procedures and processes for the treatment of waste, its use as a secondary raw material and energy source, the environmentally friendly landfilling of residues and the resulting emissions.
Research and teaching are carried out by an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented team. The chair is involved in several national and international collaborative research projects, partly as coordinator.
- Modelling, simulation and evaluation of waste management systems and concepts as well as potential assessments including resource management and climate protection aspects
- Biotechnical processes for waste treatment (composting, fermentation)
- Investigation and evaluation of decentralised waste disposal systems for combined waste water and waste treatment with energy generation
- Infrastructure development in tomorrow's megacities, especially in developing and emerging countries
- Studies on food waste and development of strategies to avoid them
- Laser-supported non-contact measurement methods for the determination of surface methane emissions and model-supported freight considerations
- Stabilization of landfills by in-situ aerobilization
- Analysis of waste and exhaust air
- Recovery of phosphorus from sewage sludge ashes by thermo-chemical processes
The Chair of Waste Management and Exhaust Air organises scientific events with various institutions and clients on topics such as recycling management, landfill, waste management, resource efficiency, resource protection, composting, fermentation, biogas, electrical and electronic recycling on a national and international level.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Martin Kranert is the scientific director of the Biowaste Forum BW (Bioabfallforum BW), the Landfill Forum BW (Deponieforum BW), the German-Turkish Waste Management Days as well as the Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy Congress (part Circular Economy and Waste Management) (Ressourceneffizienz- und Kreislaufwirtschaftskongress BW).
"Introduction to the Circular Economy", Editor: Martin Kranert (German Language!)
Book is available in German language only!
- Waste law
- Resource and climate protection through recycling management
- Quantity and composition of waste
- Waste prevention
- Collection and transport
- Processing of solid waste materials
- Recycling of used products (incl. substitute fuels and electrical equipment) and used materials
- Biological processes
- Thematic processes
- Hazardous waste and contaminated sites
- Waste management planning and waste management concepts
- Environmental management and in-house waste management
- Material flow management and life cycle assessments
The chair has numerous contacts and cooperations with research institutions in Germany and abroad, public law decision-makers, industry and ministries. Scientific findings are put into practice through participation in standardization committees, expert committees, expert commissions and competence networks (e.g. Competence Center Environmental Engineering KURS).